Monday, September 10, 2012

5-5-12

Date: May 05, 2012
Area: Dallas Texas (Richardson)
Companion: Elder Riley Layton from Glendale AZ


Hello Everyone,
This has been another unique week with quite a few highlights. Transfers will be this next Tuesday, but I will not be transferred. I will be getting a new companion though. His name is Elder Riley Layton. He is from Glendale, AZ, and has been on his mission for 16 months. It was a wonderful experience following the spirit with this change. I have written in my last couple of letters that it has been an interview month. All of the zones in the mission had been interviewed for about a week, so President Durrant took some time to interview Elder Jones and me. He first took in Elder Jones, and after about 15 minutes, the door opened and I was asked to come into his office. He first asked if I had any questions or wanted to talk about anything. After a brief conversation, he said, "I need a new assistant. One of you will be going back into the field. Which one of you is it?" President Durrant is great at discerning the spirit and wants us to be able to follow the promptings we receive. After a few comments, I told him I felt that I still had work to do in the office and that Elder Jones needed to go back into the field. He confirmed that was correct and then asked who my new companion should be. I had been thinking for a few weeks now this could happen, so I had pondered who my new companion could be. Elder Layton was the missionary I felt I would work best with, so without hesitation I said his name. The move was made, and plans were set for the transfer to be done. We then directed our attention to work that needed to be done in the mission and made a few plans for the near future. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to work with Elder Jones, but I am excited to work with Elder Layton and continue to serve as an assistant.
Thursday was the National Day of Prayer. We received an e-mail from President Durrant late last week asking if we could help at an activity called Prayer in the Square in downtown Dallas. It was held in a place called Thanksgiving Square and required missionaries to work three different shifts. We planned things out and informed the missionaries working where to go and described what they would be doing. There were leaders of other faiths that were asked to give prayers or provide activities for people to enjoy. We were asked to usher and explain what was going on as people walked through the square. It was a great opportunity for the church to gain a bit of exposure with other faiths, and talk with people. Leaders from the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, and Christan faiths led out prayers in a chapel with a spiraled stained glass ceiling. It was a different experience listening to them, but I am grateful to have had the opportunity. We had a bit of free time to explore downtown and visit the JFK assassination sight. We were surrounded by successful business people, so it was fun to see how people work and operate. It was a fun experience. After the event finished, we helped clean up and then went on our way. As we drove away, we passed the American Airlines
Arena where the Dallas Mavericks play. Thousands of people were flocking into the stadium. I wish I could have gone in to watch the game, but I am so thankful to be a missionary and do what I am doing. My love for Dallas grew so much that day. It is such a great place to be.
There is much work to be done, and my time is running short, so I will leave my letter at this. I love this church and this gospel. The joy and peace that comes from Christ's Atonement is real. We have to make choices to line our will with His, and that is when we will be overwhelmed with joy. I miss you all and hope life is as good for you as it is for me. Thank you for all of your prayers. I feel strengthened by them daily. Enjoy this upcoming week and share the gospel with everyone.
With love,
Elder Seager