Monday, September 10, 2012

8-15-12

Date: August 15, 2012
Area: Frisco Texas
Companion: Elder Michael Louder



Hello Everyone,
It has been quite the eventful week for Elder Louder and I. There have been a lot of great miracles, teaching opportunities, and meetings. We continue to follow the promptings of the spirit each day and strive to fill our time with meaningful activities.
On Tuesday, we were able to attend a Zone Conference. It was similar to the leadership training we had a few weeks ago with the Olympic Events, so it was fun to seeing everyone able to participate. We received trainings on how we can help people know our purpose sooner and set expectations for them to repent and be baptized early on in our visits. Great miracles resulted in the Frisco district as we implemented that training. It is tradition in the Texas Dallas Mission as I am sure it is with most, that the departing missionaries share their testimonies with everyone in attendance. We were asked to share our testimonies about the Book of Mormon, so I turned to Mormon 9. It has become one of my favorite chapters. I shared a few of my favorite verses talking about the conversion process and then sharing our testimonies with others. My emotions overcome me and I struggled to speak. My mission has changed my life, and that was the first time it had really hit me that my mission is ending soon. At the end of the meeting we stood at the front of the missionaries there as they sang, "God be with you until we meet again." The tears continued to flow. I felt so much love from the missionaries I have grown to love. Being an assistant was a great opportunity because I got to know everyone. I know them by name and I know most at a personal level. Hugs and pats on the back soon came after we concluded in a kneeling prayer. I will never forget the feelings I had then.
We were able to visit with a new investigator this week named Peter. He recently move to Frisco from Seattle, Washington. Two years ago he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's Disease. He has lost the ability to walk and struggles to reach his hand to the controls on his wheel chair. While in Seattle, he met with a physical therapist that is a member of the church. During his therapy sessions, Peter asked questions about the church and became interested in learning more. Peter moved to Frisco so he could be closer with his family. With only 3-5 years to live, he hopes to come closer to God, and he believes this church is the one that will help him do that. We received a message with his name and information, so we contacted him and set a time to visit with him. It was amazing to learn more about his situation and see what we could do to help him. He agreed to be baptized if he came to know the church was true. There will be a few challenges with getting him to church, but we know the Lord will provide a way. I am so thankful to have met Peter and see the earnest desire to strenghten his faith.
We also met with a man named Maurice in our YSA. He has been dating a member of the church for the last two years and is now open to learning about the church. He has come twice and has felt a difference from the other churches he has attended in the past. He has agreed to be baptized on September 1, so we will be working hard to make sure he is ready for that date.
Last night we met with a young man named Luis. Two weeks ago, we knocked into Luis' home and taught him the Restoration. He was open to having us come back and eager to read the Book of Mormon. We tried to make contact with him a few times during this last week, but finally got to see him last night. While visiting with him, he had told us since our last visit he has had a more positive outlook on life. He attributed that to the truthfulness of our message and felt like God was watching out for him. He had read a little bit out of the Book of Mormon and prayed to know if it was true. He received an answer that it was. He then shared that the day before we knocked on his door he had been reading the Book of Mormon with a friend that is a member of the church. He felt that it was a sign from God that we were sent to him for a reason. We read a chapter from the Book of Mormon with him to conclude our visit. We each felt the Spirit and knew God was aware of what we were doing. Soon after we finished, Luis' mother came into the room and sat down. She asked a few questions about our church and wanted to read the Book of Mormon as well. Both Luis and his mother work on Sunday or else they would come to church, but they made the comment if they are off they will come. As we visit with them, we hope they will have the faith the make time to come to church on Sunday. I am so thankful to have met them and to have followed the spirit in planning where we should go. Without that effort, we would not have been led to Luis.
I am so thankful to be a representative of Jesus Christ. As challenging as things may be, the reward is great. It is so important that we first strenghten ourselves and develop a testimony and then desire to share it with others. Great joy has come to me as I have tried to do that. I know those same blessings are available to everyone who exercises their faith and makes themselves available to being an instrument in the Lord's hands. I am grateful for your prayers and letters. I am strenghtened by your testimonies and feel of your commitment to serve the Lord.
With love,
Elder Seager
Story time:
- There always seems to be a fun story to share, but this is like no other I have shared before. After reading the Book of Mormon with an investigator in a trailer park, Elder Louder and I decided to walk to the next street of trailers and knock doors. While walking on the street, we noticed a dog running around a gate towards us. It was eager to show its teeth and let us know we were in his territory. We distanced ourselves from the dog at the side of the street and proceeded cautiously ahead. I was in front of Elder Louder about eight feet and narrowly escaped an utter destruction. Elder Louder was not so fortunate. I heard an aggressive move from the dog and turned around to see if all was well. All was not well. The dog lunged forward and took a bite at Elder Louder's leg. Elder Louder was quick to respond with a kick to the face, so the dog quickly scurried away. We walked to the next door thinking no damage was done. No hole appeared in Elder Louder's pants, but with a quick check, it was clear a tooth had penetrated the skin. It wasn't big enough to cause pain, but we thought it would be best to go back home and clean the cut. After about an hour, a slight trickle of blood continued to run down his leg, so we figured it would be best to have it checked out. We drove to a doctor's office and, after filling out some paperwork, were taken back into a room. The doctor told us the cut was deep enough to have stitches, but with a fear of an infection occurring, she thought it would be best to leave it open and let it heal. She numbed the area around the cut and began to clean it. I looked on with excitement to watch. All was well with me up to that point, and then the doctor put her finger in the cut to clean it out and push out the blood and saleen that had filled the skin around it. I felt a bit light headed and made my way over to a counter to lean on. The next thing I know, the doctor is in my face asking if I was okay. I quickly responded of course I was okay and then I noticed I was on the ground. I guess everything wasn't okay. I had passed out. A few other nurses came with a chair for me to sit in and a cup of water to sip on. I became the next patient admitted, so they helped me into my very own room. What a fun adventure it was. After doing a few tests they let me go encouraging me to take it easy. Elder Louder's cut was soon cleaned and dressed with bandages, so we drove home. I felt nauseous and light headed still so I spent the next hour laying down before we went out for the night. What a fun night that was, not. But will still taught a lesson. I think the Lord felt some sympathy for us by this point. The next morning I felt a bit light headed, but good enough to function. We got a phone call from the doctor explaining that a follow up appointment was needed for Elder Louder and then said I should come back too. Everything seemed to be normal, so as soon as Elder Louder's cut heals, we will both be back to normal. The adventures of mission life continue. I love it.