Monday, September 10, 2012

7-30-12

 
 
 
Date: July 30, 2012
Area: Frisco Texas
Companion: Elder Michael Louder
Hello Everyone,
It has been a great week. It has been great to work with Elder Nelson for the last week. He will be going home Wednesday morning. I learned a lot from the last week of serving with him. It has been great relating experiences we have had and things we have learned on our missions. He worked hard until the end. It was a great example to me of someone who understands his purpose and magnifies his calling until the end.
Today is the beginning of my last transfer. It is sad to think about. The Lord has blessed me with so many sacred experiences and opportunities to serve with some of the best leaders in our mission. My new companion is Elder Michael Louder. He is from Fillmore, UT and has been on his mission for 12 months. I remember him coming into the mission, so it has been great to see him grow. He was serving in my district this last transfer, so he not moving too far. It will be great to learn from him. He was trained by the best (Elder Monkres), so it will be great to use the work ethic he developed with Elder Monkres.
We were able to set a baptismal date with Barbara's son Taylor this week. He is 18 years old and is ready to be baptized. Elder Christman had met with them on an exchange and had given them an assignment to answer the question; "Why do bad things happen to good people?" It is amazing how much stronger the spirit is as people keep their commitments and learn from the studies they had. It led into a spirit filled lesson of the restoration and an opportunity to set the baptismal date for August 25. I am so excited for him and look forward to helping Taylor for that day.
I was able to attend a Leadership Training this last week which was amazing. We had an Olympic themed training where we had two hours of physical and spiritual challenges. We also watched a movie clip from the Roger Bannister story (in the1950's he was the first person to run a mile in under 4:00 minutes). It was great to have a change of pace and have some with friends I have grown to love. It helped me understand how to better help with lifting and inspiring others on my "team."
I love each of you. I am so thankful for all of your letters. They continue to uplift and inspire me. The gospel of Jesus Christ is real. The apostasy did happen and we are witnesses of the truth of Christ's restored church.
With love,
Elder Seager
Fun story to remember:
One of the worst noises for a missionary is the sound of a golf cart driving around apartment complex corner. We went to a new apartment complex to contact a recent convert. After driving around for a few minutes, we couldn't find the building, so we decided to park and walk to find it. While walking, we noticed two golf carts parked in the direction we were walking. We kept walking and hoped we wouldn't be stopped. One of the people standing next to the cart had nice slacks and a collard shirt, so we knew we were busted. The man said in a disappointed manner, "Alright guys park it over here for a second." "Danget!!!" I thought to myself. I was quick to say we were trying to visit a member of the church in hopes that the beating out of the complex would become a bit more soft. The man pointed in the direction where we needed to go and offered to give us a ride on the golf cart (that has never happened to me). We gladly accepted, so as we drove he asked who we were with so we shared a little bit about our message with him. He said, "Well boys you are in luck because I am the manager of this complex and I think it is great when people come around preaching the word of God." A huge sigh of relief came over me. I knew our beating out of the complex would no longer happen. He then explained we were more then welcome to come back and knock in the complex. I couldn't believe it. I was on cloud nine. We eventually arrived to our destination and after he left, I burst into tears of joy and laughter. All that worry for nothing. I love being a missionary!
Later in the week we were not so fortunate when we heard a man we had just contacted open his door and shout to a worker. "The Mormon's are in our complex." "We will find them!" came the reply. We gave up and left without a fight. Our heads were still held high ready for another action packed apartment adventure. Our Olympic event is who gets to stay in a place the longest. So far we are the winners with our miracle manager.